Saturday, November 21, 2015

Fiction of the Week-A Hangman's Confession


A Hangman’s Confession

While traveling to some South Asian countries, I was in a country which had highest death penalty rate for serious crimes in that region. I found myself excited to meet the person who was famous for hanging convicts.
I met the hangman in the second biggest city of the country. I told him I am from a news agency and would ask some questions. In the beginning he was hesitant, but quickly got agreed when I assured him that his name and address would be kept confidential.
I asked him “Are you happy with your present job?”
“Yes, I am. I am completely satisfied. There is no any doubt about it.” He continued, “I am happy with my job just like anyone else. Aren’t you happy with your job too?”
“I have never killed anyone but you have killed so many people.” I commented immediately.
“This is my job which provides me bread and butter “said the hangman. “While hanging convicts, I do not feel even for a second that I’m being inhuman “.
He continued, “I do not get emotional when I’m hanging them, I take that as my duty, nothing personal. While hanging someone, I focus on carrying out the assigned job and do not care to think that someone is going to die. Above all, I think, I have to complete the job within the given time”.   
“May I ask you a different question?” I asked.
“What reaction do people usually have when they are brought to the place where they are to be hanged?”
Those who have committed crime are normally silent but those who are innocent ask many questions.  Innocents ask same question; for what crime they are going to be hanged. They look very nervous as well.”
I asked another question, “You have hanged more than 300 people as you already said. Now you are in your early sixties. When you put rope around someone’s neck and put a black scarf to cover his or her face before hanging, don’t you feel that you are committing a crime by killing another human or do you think that you are the part of judiciary and just giving out a fair justice for the crime he or she has committed?”
He replied, “I have no emotion when I’m hanging someone. I think I am just performing my duty like anyone else. I already told you this. This is my job”.
“I will ask you a last question. Will you quit this job if you find something better that this?”
“No I am happy with my current job .I’m very used to it. It is very easy to perform.”

I came back to India, my home country. The hangman and his story got completely slipped out of my mind until I had an opportunity to visit that country five years later. I tried locating him without any luck. However, I found out from someone else that the hangman quitted his job and started a dhaba (a fast food restaurant) on one of the busiest streets of the city. Interestingly, He had made a move from a secured job (permanent job) to an uncertain future. I was hard pressed to find the motivation behind his move but  it did not take long for me to conclude: Taking someone’s life is not an ideal job for anyone no matter how tough they are!!

Bishwa Raj Adhikari

No comments:

Post a Comment