Sunday, December 11, 2011

Who is Guilty? Fiction of the week - 15


Who is Guilty?

Arbitrators were present there to hear the complaints of a couple. The husband said “Respected members, I did love my wife more than my heart. I fulfilled her every desire. She had no desire which I did not fulfill, I am sure. I full-filled her every desire, even by sacrificing my own needs.  She had complete freedom, as well. There was no control on her from my side. She was free to go wherever she liked. She was free to eat whatever she liked. She was free to go anywhere with anyone she liked. I had given her that much freedom to keep her happy. But, now, I am not going to give her that freedom; I am going to leave her forever. I saw her with a man in such a condition which I cannot describe here. But I am surprised that, for this situation, she calls me guilty. Her accusation is baseless and completely wrong.”
After listening to her husband; the wife said to the arbitrators, ”Respected members, what my husband said was not false; his every word is correct. But, still, he is guilty for this, I believe.”
One of the arbitrators asked, ‘but how”, after hearing the allegation made by the wife with a little surprise on his face. 
The wife tried to prove her allegation. To prove her allegation, she gave her side of the story,"my relation with another man was not built in a day. It might have taken more than a year. In that period, why didn't my husband stop me from that wrongdoing? Why did he let me do that? Why did he accept my every wrong step? Why did he love me so much?”
The wife continued, “loving too much without pointing out one’s wrong-doing is a kind of crime. Is not so, sirs? My husband only loved me but never alerted me of things I was doing wrong. That is why my husband is guilty! The wife added, “I am honest than my husband because I am not claiming myself clean whereas he is claiming himself innocent despite being guilty.”
The statements, given by the couple left the arbitrators in deep thinking. They took long time to decide whether the husband or the wife was guilty.



Bishwa Raj Adhikari




No comments:

Post a Comment